Recovered Territories Exhibition held in 1948 was one of the largest expositions housed by Centennial Hall. It took place between 21 July and 31 October, and attracted both domestic and international interest. Its organizers intended that the Recovered Territories Exhibition should demonstrate the success accomplished by the authorities in the territories recovered after the World War II. It presented both achievements in reconstruction of post-war economy and development of representative branches of Polish industry.
The expo area was divided into two grounds. „Ground A”, including a square situated opposite the Centennial Hall, the Hall itself and Four-Dome Pavilion, which presented exhibitions dealing with social, political and geographic issues. Spire designed by engineer Stanisław Hempel was the central landmark in „Ground A”.
The area that currently houses zoological garden („Ground B”) was designated to present an exhibition dealing with sociological and economic issues. Both public and private enterprises presented their products in small buildings. Many of them were sold at reduced prices thus visitors were able to purchase products that were not readily available in the country destroyed by the war.
Huge expenditure, presence of VIPs representing state authorities and special promotion of the event contributed to the fact that the 100 day exhibition was visited by approx. 2 million visitors. Despite the large number of visitors and propaganda success, the Recovered Territories Exhibition ended up in financial failure. Only one third of the huge expenditure of that project reaching 715 million PLN was recovered.